- High Performance SLD is among the new generation of steels being engineered in Japan.
- Highly wear resistant, Hardness is comparable to Blue High Carbon Steel (HRC 62-63), with fairly excellent levels of stain resistance.
- Blade edge features a thin construction for razor sharpness.
- Mirror polish for a stunning finish.
- Double edged, multipurpose knife, stainless. Do not place in dishwasher and keep away from frozen food and bones. Handcrafted in Japan.
The Kiritsuke knife is a traditional Japanese single edged all-purpose chefs knife that resembles a sword. Its length allows it to cut sushi and sashimi like a Yanagi, and the wideness of the blade gives it the dexterity to do multiple jobs. In recent years a double edged version of the kiritsuke has increasingly become popular with chefs who appreciates the aesthetics of the sword like shape but still prefers to use double edged knives. This particular kiritsuke is the double edged version and will be an easy transition to make from the common chefs knife for most. The High Performance SLD is among the new generation of steels being engineered in Japan that endeavor to surpass the capabilities of existing metals. Its main features is that it is highly wear resistant with a hardness level that rivals blue high carbon steel with a fairly good level of stain resistance. What this means is that this combination of features allows for a knife with excellent sharpness, long edge retention, with a stainless durability. In addition, this particular knife emphasizes a superior cutting edge by utilizing a thin blade design that will effortlessly cut through foods with very little abrasions to its surface. The brilliant mirror finish is also worth a remark. It is not only visually beautiful to observe, it makes the metal easier to clean and preserve. The blade comes complimented with a traditional Japanese handle that is made of Rosewood and double redwood bolster equipped with a protective wooden sheath called a "Saya," which protects the knife and adds to its appearance when not in use. This specific Saya included with the knife is brush coated with non-toxic lacquer coating made from organic tree saps in Japan. The octagonal shape of the handle allows for comfortable use regardless of which handed the user is.